Playing at NERAM Harvest this Sunday from 4-5 as EphenStephen, then as Wirrycow with Kerry Watson from 5-6.
We’re playing guitar and bass in the TAS production of Les Miserables over the next few days. The school students are doing a great show, so I don’t think we’ll be particularly miserable.
Postcards of Dreadlock by Marc Mellits, arrangement by Steve Thorneycroft
With Margaret Butcher (violin) and Eleanor Streatfeild (cello) at the recent Glass@75 concert.
Our old website is closed, but here are some gigs dating back to 2005, the ones we could remember at least.
Midwinter Melancholy Concert
Thursday, 21 June 2012 7:30
G31, Old Teachers’ College
Stephen Tafra & Steve Thorneycroft – guitars,
Steve Harris – poetry,
Robyn Bradley – piano, Margaret Butcher – viola.
Come and listen to some beautiful melancholy things to celebrate midwinter.
The Steves will be play Erik Satie’s ‘Gnossiennes’, Philip Glass’ ‘Opening’ and a J.S.Bach prelude; Steve Harris will read some poetry; and Robyn and Margaret will play Australian composer Robert Davidson’s ‘Lento’ and Arvo Pärt’s ‘Spiegel im Spiegel’.
Our duo is going solo for a bit!
Stephen Tafra will be playing the Weiss Concerto for Lute and Strings in D minor with the Brisbane Baroque Players. April 21st, 3pm, St Andrew’s Uniting Church, Cnr Creek and Ann Streets, Brisbane City.
Then Steve Thorneycroft will play the Concerto Antico by Richard Harvey with the Armidale Symphony Orchestra. Sunday 29 April 2012 3 pm Lazenby Hall, UNE
On Friday 4 May Mr. Thorneycroft will be at the Uniting Church 10pm for ‘Minimalist Meditations’. Meditative music inspired by Bach. Includes new works by Steve Thorneycroft and Benjamin Thorn. $15/10(concession)
On Sunday 6 May at the Ursuline Chapel, 12 noon, a concert of Cello and Lute. Louise King and Steve Thorneycroft will play cello suite 5 and lute suite 3. $20/15(concession)
Both these last two events are part of the New England Bach Festival.
• Playing at the Armidale Composers’ Concert this Saturday 31st March 2012, 3pm, Old Teachers’ College Auditorium. Entry by donation.
• We’re giving a concert of guitar and piano music, performed on period instruments, with our friend Keith Power. Music by Diabelli and Field. Feb 5th 2012, 4pm. There is no entry charge but seating is limited, RSVP details are on the poster.
New England Regional Art Museum’s cafe (Kentucky Street Armidale 02 6771 2907) October 14 2011, starting at 5. Guitar duo stuff from Bach to Beatles and celtic and gypsy swing for guitar and accordion.
• Feeling happy? Cheerful? Enthusiastic? We can fix that. Wallow in your sorrow and join us for an evening of melancholic English words and music on the Winter Solstice, June 22nd, 2011 at 8pm in the Old Teachers’ College, room G31. FeaturesEleanor Streatfeild (cello) and Stephens Harris, Tafra and Thorneycroft (words, guitars) with music by Britten, Dowland and Holborne and words by MacNeice, Hardy and Dickinson.
• UnevenSteven, Coffs Harbour 14th May 2011. A concert of solos, duos and trios by Stephen O’Hern and EphenStephen. Details TBA.
• Springwood Civic Centre, 8pm 7th May 2011. Goldberg Variations then after the interval there will be musicby Queen, Copland, Khachaturian, Ryan and the Beatles.
• Macquarie University Sydney 5pm 6th May 2011. Macquarie University Art Gallery North Ryde, Sydney 2109. Entry by donation ($12 and $8 concession). Music by Queen, Copland, Khachaturian, Ryan, Glass Bach and the Beatles.
• Bach’s Goldberg Variations,Wednesday 13th April at 7pm, Old Teachers’ College.
• Subliminimal. Music by Steve Reich, Philip Glass, Marc Mellits and Gary Ryan this Saturday 26th March, Old Teachers’ College, room G31, 8:30 -9:30 p.m. Entry is free. Be prepared for meditation, aural screensavers, rock references and sci-fi quotes.
• Sunday January 30th 2:30 pm – Benjamin Thorn’s 50th. Old Teachers’ College Armidale
• Saturday February 5th 8:30pm – Bez Imena and Kez Watson and friends (Celtic, Balkan, Klezma, MIddle Eastern). Armidale Club.
• UnevenStephen with Stephen O’Hern, Armidale Club. 26 June 2010.
• Music For A Market Sunday – 30 May 2010
• Bach Jazz Jam, part of the New Engalnd Bach Festival – 30 April 2010
• UnephenStephen with Stephen O’Hern, Lazenby Hall UNE 24 April 2010
• With Kez Watson and friends, Imeprial Hotel Armidale. 17 March 2010
Halloween concert at NECOM. Koshkin, Houghton, Katchaturian …
• A selection of Bach Chorales peformed on two lutes and then standard and baritone guitars. NERAM. 26 Sep 09. 12:30pm.
• Armidale Spring Music Festival 18 September 09 at New England Regional Art Museum. 7pm.
• Civic, Gunnedah. Goldberg Variations.
• Music For A Market Sunday – 22 February 09